Monday, June 16, 2014

La Citta Eterna: Home at Last

After a fun last day in Barcelona walking around and exploring the city, we made our way via Ryanair to Rome. We got in Saturday evening at ten, took a train to the main train station, Termini, and then took a cab to meet my good friend Mitch (who lives in Rome) in my favorite area of town, Trastevere, to watch Italy's World Cup game. The game started at midnight, so we got back to the Zone Hotel, where I lived when I studied abroad, at 2:30AM.

We woke up at 9AM, went to the Rome center to see Mitch, and then made our way to Saint Peter's Basilica to catch the end of the pope's noon mass. We saw about a half an hour of his words from the balcony, and then met up with my friends from Saint Louis, Liz, John, Matt, and Mary, who just happened to be in Rome at the same time that we are. So great to see old friends! We spent the day with them, going to the Pantheon, Giolitti gelato, the Spanish Steps, and the Villa Borghese, a giant park above the Spanish Steps, before getting caught in a massive thunderstorm. We were so soaked that we had to go home and change clothes.

After changing clothes, Mikey did a quick work out while Mitch and I caught up over a few espressos. We then made our way to the Colisseum to meet everyone for a special dinner at a restaurant suggested by my good friends the Beazleys, called Taverna dei Fori Imperiali. Mike Beazley made the reservation for us and sent me along with a letter and pictures of his adorable daughter Annie for the staff at the restaurant, who he knew well during his time in Rome. The dinner included me, Mikey, our friend TJ, and the crew from Saint Louis.

When we first arrived and I gave the staff the gifts from the Beazleys, they were overwhelmed. Annie has grown so much since they last saw her! The waitress couldn't hold back tears, and it really was a great moment and connection for us all. We then sat down to the most incredible meal of our lives, which deserves its own paragraph.

The first round was antipasti: an eggplant dish, bacon and truffle bruschetta, roman style pork, and panna cotta with cherry tomatoes and goat cheese. Each one more delicious than the next. The prima piatti included pasta carbonara, pasta alla romana, and pesto cheese ravioli. All delicious, but the highlight was definitely the ravioli. The greatest pasta I have ever had. The secondi piatti was too much to do fully. We all split a plate of wild boar, which was also incredible. We followed this with i dulci, an apple strudle and a strawberry rum cake. Both incredible. We then did after dinner drinks of limoncello and amaro, followed by espresso for all. It truly was the greatest meal of my life, complete with a picture of me and the staff for the Beazleys. We all had a blast, and I think I got some points with my friends for having an in at such a wonderful restaurant!

We then got lost walking to Trastevere to meet Mitch, which was fine! It was a beautiful night and we walked catching up with friends and enjoying the Roman scenery. We finally met Mitch and enjoyed a beer and a chocolate shot in Trastevere before taking cabs home. One of the best nights I have had in years.

As I sit typing this post in the Rome center Information Commons, where I spent six months as a student two years ago, my emotions are very mixed. On one hand, it has been the best few days I have had in as long as I can remember. On the other hand, there's a hint of sadness that I won't be here for a job next year. I am trying to focus on the positives and look forward to Korea, but Rome really is home. I love this city more than anywhere else on the planet, and I think I know deep down that someday in some capacity I will have to be back. It's been strange trying to disassociate the experiences I had a few years ago with the experiences I'm having now. The faces are different; the campus has changed immensely; I don't have my favorite baby Annie here to keep me company! The beautiful part is that despite all that, nothing has really changed. I've caught up with old friends like I was here yesterday. The Coliseum and Vatican are just as I remember them. It truly is the Eternal City. Tonight is our last day here, and after we finish our laundry this morning, we are going to head back out on the town and make the most of the day before a meal at the famous "Pear Pasta" restaurant tonight followed by a trip to one of my favorite bars from when I studied here, the Abbey, and end in Trastevere. Tomorrow we have an early train to the coastal town of Cinque Terre, where we will stay for two days, and I am very excited for that too!

All in all, coming back to Rome was what I needed to turn over to a new beginning. I feel refreshed and ready for what's next. I will try to write another post next time I have access to a computer! A little over two weeks left. It's flying by. Thanks for reading!

Da Roma con amore,
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment