Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Setting Goals and Climbing Mountains

I just left my refrigerator door open for several hours after buying groceries. I fear my food is spoiled. What an end to the day!

Today was a sore one. I woke up at 1pm, and my whole body ached with a pain unfelt since I ran a marathon a few years back. My knees, my abs, my back, my quads, and just about everywhere else screamed at me to not roll over and get out of bed. The reason for this terrible pain, is that yesterday, I climbed the tallest mountain in South Korea, Hallasan, or Mount Halla in English.

Michael Chu and I have been talking about summiting the mountain for a while now, but the timing never worked out until this Monday. We borrowed some crampons anticipating ice at the top, but both of us underestimated what we were in for. It ended up being a 13 mile hike when it was all said and done. The first couple of miles in the morning starting at 6:30AM were relatively easy. It was a slight incline, and we rolled along at a solid pace. The incline got progressively higher though, and by the time we reached "base camp," we had been going pretty straight up for a while. The last 45 minutes of the hike up were the most brutal though. We battled a snowstorm as we reached the summit of the mountain, fighting gale force winds, ice, and snow. We joked later about how truly frightening the experience had been. You could see a long way down off the side of the mountain as we climbed, and all of the trail markers were buried in snow. The only thing holding us to the mountain was our crampons, and we had to stop and brace ourselves with each blow of the wind. When we finally reached the summit, we didn't want to stay long. It was so unbearably cold that we were losing feeling in our fingers and toes. We took some pictures and video and hightailed it back to warmer, thicker air.

Climbing the mountain was so worth today's pain, and it was an unforgettable experience. Today, as I downed Advil and wished I was dead, I realized that there was a really important reality and metaphor that came with climbing the mountain. The fact is that climbing a mountain gives you a goal. It gives you something to strive for. If I compare climbing Halla to doing the same 13 mile workout on a stair-stepping machine in the gym, I know I would not have been able to do it. Setting a goal for myself was the only reason I was able to push through and get it done. It was the same with running the marathon. I wouldn't just go out and run 26 miles on my own if there wasn't a clear goal in mind. I find that this sort of mentality is important in all that I do.

I wouldn't get anything done if I didn't set the goals for myself, and I realize how important it is for me to keep my eye on the prize. Keeping my eye on the prize is what allows me to take joy in the process. Knowing I was heading towards the summit of the mountain was the reason that I wasn't crying in pain the entire way up and down. It was an enjoyable time the whole time, not just the few minutes we were at the top. If the goal is to clean my room, the prize is the clean room. If the goal is to fill out all of the applications and apply to grad schools, the prize is getting into a school. It seems so simple, but I think I needed a reminder that I need to be conscious of why I do the things I do.

Anyway, tonight I tried making my first mustard-based barbecue sauce, and I fear it came out with too strong of a mustard flavor. I'll need to come up with some ideas to try to counteract that next time, I suppose. Tomorrow is back to the work grind! I just found out that my dear friend Cayla Turain, who is studying in Vietnam for the semester, is going to try to come visit Jeju in a few weeks! She was a freshman when I studied abroad in Rome, and it's crazy to think we will be abroad together again. Time to start planning places to take her!

I heard from my dear old friend Conor Duncan today, and that also did wonders for making this a good week. If anyone has any desire to write letters or emails, let me know, because I love communicating via both! We've had some issues with disrespect towards the staff with our eighth graders in the last few weeks, and I think the big project for this week is getting that under control. So, it should be a busy one. I wish you the best of weeks.

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment