Tuesday, September 2, 2014

One Month In

"Travel can be one of the most rewarding forms of introspection."
- Lawrence Durrell

I left home a month ago today. So much has happened in this month! I'm getting to know my students better, and we've already had our ups and downs. It's no fun to discipline the kids, but they know the rules and rather intentionally break them sometimes. That's the least fun part of the job. The bright side is that I know I'm doing the job well and I'm having fun! I'm happy, and life at the school and on the island has been great.

I've kept in good touch with most folks at home, Skyping and Facebook messaging and such! Hearing from home is always nice, so do hit me up if you feel so inclined.

The most recent development here is that I was offered another job which I ultimately decided to turn down, but it really presented me with a decision that I feel ended up being a major life decision. I was offered the opportunity to leave my current position and become the school's Assistant Athletic Director/Head Lifeguard. It wouldn't have involved a pay raise or anything this year, but I was flattered that the athletic director came to me first with the offer. The decision it presented is this: is sports my future, or is the education side more my future?

The kicker is that the director originally wanted to know the next day if I wanted the job. While the dilemma between sports and education was on my mind anyway, I knew that if sports was my future, AD would look better than Dorm Assistant. I thought about it overnight, getting very little sleep, then met with some of my bosses and coworkers the next day to get their opinions, and in the end, I decided to turn it down.

I think I've come to a decision that education is where I see my career heading from here. I had been thinking about it even before I came to Jeju, but being here has only reaffirmed this desire in me. Who knows when going back to school will be for me, but a master's in higher education sounds like it could be something I have interest in. My good friend Alex Boesch is off tackling that degree in Vermont now, so I suppose I will have to pick his brain in the future. My good friend and mentor Dr. Beazley could probably also provide some guidance! I have to keep telling myself that I don't have to make any decisions right now. The job offer really put all of this to the forefront of my mind, and now that I've made an immediate decision, I need to remind myself that I can put it to the back burner for a bit.

I bought a small dirt bike this week for transportation, a Hyosung RX125. So I officially have wheels to explore the island, and I have been doing so! Went to the beach yesterday on my day off, and today into the city. Additionally, I bought a classical guitar. These small things have made it start to feel more like home here. You take transportation for granted until you don't have it and you're stranded on campus all day! Feels good to finally be able to come and go as I please. Been on a few hikes, and hoping to throw in a few more soon as well. No complaints currently!

Still loving the people and the place, and a month in, I think that's a good sign. Still missing you all at home and am excited to see everyone in December. My first break from school starts Friday, and a camping trip is in my future. Can't wait. Have a good week, family and friends!

-Ryan

Rest in peace, Chris Zandstra. 6/16/91 - 9/2/07

No comments:

Post a Comment