Friday, April 3, 2015

Elation

The last few days have been incomprehensibly incredible. I accepted a job in Rome as a Student Life Assistant at the JFRC for next year. An event I had been planning for several months here in Korea went over incredibly (except for a student's rough injury at the end requiring some stitches, but he's going to be okay!). I had a great night of celebration with one of my best friends here, and today I found out that my sister is engaged! The happiness is overflowing, and it couldn't have come at a better time. It's crazy to me that I only have nine weeks left in Korea, and I'm already starting to feel nostalgic about the people and the places. Things work out for a reason, and this year in Korea has been one of the most formative of my life. I've learned more about myself and the world in these last few months than the rest of my life combined. It's been a glorious ride, and it's far from over. I'm headed to Nepal in May and Australia in June. The weather is getting nice here in Jeju, and beach days are near. There's more to learn, more experiences to be had, and I'm going in with the most peaceful mindset I have had in years. I know that I'm not done with Korea. It's taken a place in my heart, and I will be back someday after I leave for this new adventure.

I'm so lucky. I have been fortunate enough to have so many incredible experiences in my life that many people will never get the opportunity to experience. I have an incredible support system of friends, family, and mentors who treat my success as their own, and it's humbling and uplifting. I called my mom as soon as I found out about the Rome job, and I could hear the happiness to the point of tears in her voice. The amount of messages of congratulations I have received in the last few days has been so awesome. I can't wipe the stupid grin off my face. It just feels like everything is coming together, and I can already see myself thriving in my new position in Rome. Thank you to everyone in my life who has been there for me and helped me get here.

Something I've struggled with this year here is finding meaning in my work. The group of boys I work with is very privileged. Sometimes, going through the motions of everyday life with these boys has felt fruitless because the results are less tangible, but as the year has gone on and I've seen their growth and maturity, I've come to realize my own little role in guiding them along. I'll miss the boys. I think I've taught them a thing or two about the world and how to be better men; I hope so at least. Seeing success with these students, like in the Spring Festival event I organized for this week, has me so excited to be working with college students and hopefully making a difference in their lives.

I'm overjoyed to be going back to Rome and hopefully bringing myself up to fluency in Italian. It really does feel like a homecoming for me. Rome feels so familiar. So many of the things I aspire to in my life were born out of my time studying abroad there. The job is one that's been on my mind since that time, and it's a perfect start to a career in higher education, which is where I think I'm headed. I'm excited to see the familiar faces around the Rome center as well as making friends with the new folks. I have a perfect balance right now of living in the moment, realizing my time here is coming to an end, and joyful anticipation for the future.

Anyway, I suppose that's enough gushing for now. Everything works out for a reason they say, and I've experienced it. I'll be back to the States on June 30, and I want to see everyone before I go. Open up your schedules! Congratulations to my big sis and her fiancée Nick! So happy for you both. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. also, forgot that your blog was a thing and kind of binge reading. oops.

    ReplyDelete